Friday, May 30, 2008

First Harvests

The previous owners of our house were pretty avid gardeners from what I can tell...well, much more avid that I am. There are lots of things coming up this spring that I do not know what they are. One of those things was strawberry plants. Well, once we figured out they were strawberries, we have been watching them grow and grow, only to get eaten by bugs. I recently purchased an organic pesticide (it has sesame oil and fish oil in it...it smells fishy!) and we were able to harvest 3 strawberries! AR and I ate the first 2 before I thought to take a picture. They were delicious. There is something to be said for eating something grown in your backyard. I have to admit though that I'm a little nervous. The following thoughts cross my head...what if some animals pooped in the dirt and we get E.coli or what if the organic pesticide is harmful to us? I know this is silly because only God knows what's on the produce we eat from the supermarket. I can only imagine! But I think the satisfaction of growing something to eat outweighs the possible side effects. :) Here's to springtime, a time of new growth and learning especially for my children!


Strawberry grown in our backyard!

2 comments:

  1. Oh good...glad you were able to salvage 3 berries! THey same home grown things taste MUCH better than store bought. I hope the rest of the garden grows and you and AR have fun tending to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell AR that Miss Sally and G-Boo wish her a BIG HAPPY BIRTHDAY (late a few days). Hope the bday festivities with her cousins were great and lots of fun. Can't wait to see pics!

    ReplyDelete