Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Just call me Pharmacist A.

J has had a horrible diaper rash, one we have not been able to get rid of. The doctor saw it in late December. He has been on Nystatin, Diflucam, zinc oxide, etc. It was really getting raw, so I took him in. We saw a new doctor today, who advised us to put a "special" cream on it, called diaper goo. I was game, as I really want this to heal.

So off I go to the compounding pharmacy, because it has to be made up. It is equal parts zinc oxide, nystatin, and a topical antibiotic. The pharmacist ever so kindly tells me that insurance won't pay for this and it would be $60.00. $60.00 to mix up some creams? Come on. Well, needless to say, I did NOT purchase said diaper goo.

I got home and called the doctor. After speaking with the nurse and explaining to her that I thought it was crazy to spend $60.00 on cream (and I have nystatin, zinc oxide, and neosporin at home anyway), she informed that I could just mix them all up in a baby food jar and use that.

ARE.YOU.SERIOUS?

Why did you send me to the pharmacy to buy $60.00 cream, when I could just mix it at home?

I'm just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment